Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Being Detail Oriented Does NOT Make You A Secretary

Michael Driehorst is a public relations expert who likes details and is respected and published.  I have a feeling that nobody thinks he's a secretary, even though he likes details.  

Michael's latest article: Proper Planning Key to Setting ROI Expectation is an interesting one. 

Here, Michael explains the importance of details.  I understand the details.  I thrive on details.  I love the details, however more often than not I am brushed off when I start asking the account execs and creative directors for those pesky details.  Actually, I have been asked to empty the dishwasher when I have asked for details.  

Now I know that emptying the dishwasher is not in the job description for a secretary, but I often find that when probing for details, I get brushed off as the "silly woman" in a predominantly male office and department, and am asked to do some menial task.  My official title is somewhere between "Wearer of many hats", "task master" or "account copyducer"; my own take on account executive, copy writer and producer.  


Whatever my official title is, I am NOT the secretary, and details are nothing to snuff at.  I applaud Michael for standing up for details and giving proof to the fact that there is value in details and planning.  Details are the brick and mortar of any project.   If only "big picture" people are involved-then there are no details being discussed or planned and subsequently there is nothing actually holding the project together.  

Basically, my point is this: details-like contracts, e-mails, pricing, etc., are imperative to getting any project done and making sure it's profitable and on time.  If you don't spend time on the details, you will find yourself over budget and/or late in delivery.   If you are any of the cogs in an advertising assembly line and are working with a team-share the details! And if you are a detail lover (like myself) working with a team of "big picture" people-don't let them brush the details under the rug.  Show them Michael's article!  They might not listen to a "secretary", but maybe they'll listen to Michael. 

No comments: